The seeds are set for the 2019 Boys HS Rugby National Championships.
Twenty-four top high school teams were accepted to the competition after a rigorous application process. Since that announcement in February, the panel of coaches and advisors working with the Boys HS Rugby National Championships have been evaluating the teams for their progress through the season.
And now after some voting and debate, the seeds have been made. The top eight seeds from each side—Single-School on one side and HS Club on the other—will compete for the National Championship for those respective brackets.
The other four from each side will compete in the Tier II bracket. This is undoubtedly the most competitive Tier II the competition has seen, with several multiple state champions involved.
All 24 teams in the BHSRNC are ranked by FloRugby. The FloRugby ranking is listed in parentheses. The seedings were made based on the panel's consensus of their ability to compete, with minor adjustments made to ensure teams familiar with each other did not meet in the first round.
Notably, the last two HS Club national champions, Danville and Royal Irish, are not seeded #1, and in fact will meet each other in the quarterfinals, as a repeat of the overtime thriller final from last year.
Last year's single-school champion, Gonzaga, is also not seeded #1, and is in fact seeded #4.
1. Granite Bay Grizzlies, Northern California (2)
2. Back Bay Sharks, Southern California (1)
3. Lamorinda, Northern California (4)
4. Royal Irish, Indiana (3)
5. Danville Oaks, Northern California (7)
6. Charlotte Tigers, North Carolina (10)
7. KC Jr. Blues, Missouri (19)
8. San Diego Mustangs, Southern California (9)
1. Jesuit HS, Northern California (2)
2. Penn HS, Indiana (1)
3. Herriman HS, Utah (4)
4. Gonzaga College HS, DC (3)
5. Xavier HS, New York (6)
6. Greenwich HS, Connecticut (7)
7. East HS, Utah (12)
8. Kahuku HS, Hawaii (11)
1. Eastside, Washington (C5)
2. Wando HS, South Carolina (SS24)
3. Rocky Mt. HS, Idaho (SS27)
4. Raleigh, North Carolina (C14)
5. Aspetuck Valley, Connecticut (C16)
6. Snow Canyon HS, Utah (SS38)
7. United, Utah (C17)
8. St. Thomas Aquinas HS, (SS30)
The first round will be as follows in each bracket:
1v8, 4v5, 3v6, 2v7
Each team will play one game each on May 16, 17, and 18.